Zhytomyr National Agroecological University
Zhytomyr National Agroecological University is a public Ukrainian university in the city of Zhytomyr, located in the cross-border region of Polesia, and the only university with national status in the Zhytomyr Oblast. Its history dates back to 1899, with the creation of a lower agricultural school in the region of Volhynia, which would acquire higher education institution status in 1922 after a series of mergers and transformations. In 1930 the Zhytomyr Agricultural Institute of Technical Crops was created, and turned into Zhytomyr Agricultural Institute in 1934. Several departments were added and the State Academy of Agriculture and Ecology was created in 1994. Yet more departments were added and, in 2001, the State Agroecological University was established. After more departments were added, in 2008, the University was awarded national status and became Zhytomyr National Agroecological University. In 2020, after years of declining student numbers in Ukraine, the University underwent yet another reform, and Polissia National University was created. The University had around five thousand students in 2020, distributed into eight faculties: agronomy, technology of animal production and processing, veterinary medicine, agricultural engineering and energetics, ecology and law, forestry, accounting and finance, and economics and management, and offers degrees at bachelor's, master's and doctoral level. Zhytomyr Oblast is the main center of the Polish minority in Ukraine, and in the city of Zhytomyr there is a Latin Catholic cathedral and a large Roman Catholic Polish cemetery, founded in 1800. It is regarded as the third biggest Polish cemetery outside Poland, after Lychakivskiy Cemetery in Lviv and Rasos Cemetery in Vilnius.